Monday, June 25, 2012

NightRiser chp1

CHAPTER 1
My name is Lunette Shakhri. And I believe that there are four types of morning risers: early risers, late risers, lazy risers and then there’s me. I still don’t know why my lifestyle was so weird. Mom and dad, my friends, my cousins, everyone was like the others. They felt tired as the day drowned, and slept at night. But I was different. I felt more and more energetic as the night came nearer. I’d rarely slept at night. I didn’t like or feel the necessity to sleep. The night was so beautiful. When I was a child, mom and dad forced me to sleep, and I’d act very well. But now that I’m nineteen, well nothing’s changed, I still do the same. Act to sleep. I think I was named just right. ‘Lunette’ in French means ‘little moon’.
“Lune, come down, breakfast is ready!” mom called. My stomach growled. I’d been so engrossed in my project; I’d forgotten to eat the whole night. So I closed my project and ran downstairs. “Eww!” I exclaimed, “not the veggies again”. Dad had suddenly decided to go vegetarian, but we had no idea why he forced us to do the same. I hated vegetarian food. It never really satisfied me. To top it off, dad held the ‘go green’ board high. If he really wanted to go green, I don’t really know why he was a vegetarian… “Aren’t the two things contradictory??” I always asked him; as usual he just changed the topic.
“Mom, I’ll be going out for some research work this Saturday. I’ll be out the whole day” I informed her. On seeing the concern on her face, I immediately added, “I won’t be going alone, chill. My project members, all three of them are with me.” She still wore the over-concerned look on her face. The last week, I had gone out of town, I’d come home covered in blood. I’d tried to tell everyone the truth, but Marsella covered it all up with “it was just a car accident. She hit her head hard, and now she is imagining things” line which everyone seemed to believe. She was the one who saved me, and then she was the one who lied. Since that very day, I’ve hated her. Why had I been so unfortunate? Why did she have to be in my project group? No matter what I said or did to her, she always hovered. She always pretends to take care of me, to be on my side, to assure me, to trust me. But I know this is all a lie, otherwise why would she cover up such a deadly incident. She didn’t even let my parents believe me. I was gonna think of something to get rid of her soon. I could hardly believe she was my best buddy before last week.
I was getting late. Abhimanyu picked me up as usual, and we drove to college. “How’s the project at your part going?” he asked me, “did the night help you?” Abhi was the only person apart from Marsella who knew my little ‘night’ secret. He was the only person who trusted me when I told him about how the night always gave me answers to the questions I’ve always wanted. Neither my parents nor did my brother believe me, when I told them about it. Abhi and I had been friends since pre-school. Both our parents had seen our strong friendship and mistaken it with love. But both of us always laughed at the idea of getting romantically involved with each other. Both of us had way different sights about what kind of a person we would fall in love with.
“The project is going good. I definitely had help, but we need to make the project more interesting. I think our Saturday trip will be worth it” we both agreed. I had a strong feeling the trip was going to make a huge difference. Our project was about the outer universe. We had done a lot of research, made models, visited planet-museums and taken some interviews. We had named our project ‘multiverse’ and it was going in full swing. “Hey guys”, Marsella said. She always looked beautiful, almost as short as me, and Abhi had a huge crush on her. That was the only part of him I disliked. He could fall for any girl in the universe, but Marsella? After what she had done to me? That was least expected of him.
“Where is Yen?” I asked Abhi. Exactly at that moment, ‘boom!’ we heard a blast from the girls dorm. The three of us looked at each other and sighed, ‘Yen’. This had to be Yen. He was the biggest prankster in college. He flirted with every possible girl, but he was good at heart, and was of great help in our project. His dad’s contacts and money made it easier for us to fund our project and get permissions for interviews. That is the only reason he was in our project group. “Greetings angel!”, Yen called from behind. “For the hundredth time Yen, I am not your angel. Call me that one more time and I’ll break your teeth.” I threatened and left. “You’re kick-ass, and I love that about you”, I heard him scream. He always smiled his cocky smile, and all the girls fell for him. But everyone knew what a playboy he was.
We all went to our class and after an hour long of torture in History, we met for Lunch. That’s when Abhi asked Yen, “Did your dad get us permission to go meet Mr. Fiddlesworth on Saturday?” Meeting him was the main point of our trip. Mr. Fiddlesworth was a foreign astronaut and a geologist. He had recently shifted to live in the town. He never gave appointments to anybody, but he was a man of honour. He could give us all the information we ever needed. We all thought it was almost impossible to meet him, but we had hope. Yen’s father had promised us help. Yen slowed his eating, which was unusual and this fastened our heartbeats. He spoke in his rare soft voice. No one outside our table could hear him. He said “Dad pulled some strings, and Mr. Fiddle whatever has decided to meet us. But this remains a secret.”
Yen pulled out a chit from his pocket. “Is that his number?” I asked him. He nodded. A phone conversation is not what we expected. Yen added, “Lune, do you know this man?” I had no idea what this sick-head was talking about. “I think this Fiddle person likes you” he added with a grin. I almost spat the water in my mouth on his face. Was he actually telling me that this 76-year old man liked me? For real? I was about to snap at him when he added, “He insisted that he will only be seeing us if you will be surely going”.
What the heck was going on? How did renowned Mr. Fiddlesworth know me? I was sure he was mistaking me for someone else. We all decided to call Mr. Fiddlesworth. My mind was spinning. The phone rang, and our hearts raced. The phone kept ringing but nobody picked. We tried it thrice, but there was no answer, we gave up and continued our lunch. That day I could not concentrate in college. I went home and I was waiting for the night. I saw the moon high up in the sky and sang as usual after everyone at home slept:
Moon oh dear moon, the stars shining so bright
Oh night, you are so beautiful, can’t have you out of sight
Help me find the answers to all the questions that lay ahead
Night oh beautiful night, stars start your parade, talk to my heart
And help me find the answers to all the questions that lay ahead

No one had really ever taught me this song. I hadn’t even told Abhi or Marsella about this. But I remember singing this right from the time I knew how to remember. This song always gave me an insight, gave me answers, not literally, but in my heart. Whenever I was troubled, or wanted reasons, I often stared at the night sky and sang this melodious song. And my heart knew what to do next. As I sang this, I picked up my cell phone and called Mr.Fiddlesworth, not caring that it was 3 a.m. At the second ring, a man answered, “Hello?” And the voice sounded familiar…